Top 10 Low Calorie Foods to Eat
The issue of calories and how many should be consumed daily is a very controversial issue in these times of «fitness fashion», where the body beauty and the desire to be thin has touched many people. The consequence of this fashion, partly positive, because eating healthy is a requirement to be healthy, has led us to ask ourselves what are the best foods? Which will make me gain less weight?
And in response to these questions, there is a long list of foods that serve and should be included in daily diets, both to keep the body healthy and to be thin.
However, before disclosing those foods that you can include in your intake and that are the lowest in calories but quite nutritious, it is important that you know how many calories you should consume.
A simple calculation for adults is based on multiplying your weight by your age, and the result is the number of calories you should consume daily. In general, a man between 25 and 60 years of age should eat about 3,000 calories, while a woman 2,200 per day.
Before entering the subject you should know that there are different types of foods for dieting and that we want to talk about below.
Types of food
When we talk about foods that should be eaten for dieting we generally confuse the following terms with each other: light, low in calories, low in fat and low in sugar. The reality is that all these types of foods point in one direction: eat healthily. But you must bear in mind that each of them has its own characteristics and possible disadvantages.
They are those that contain less than 40 calories per serving. And when we talk about low-calorie foods it refers to those that give you less than 120 calories per 100 grams.
Although we are talking about foods that are “free” of calories, these actually do contain it but only up to a maximum of 5 per serving.
This type of food only contains half of the fat that would normally come if it was not processed. The only detail is that with this type of food you can not trust yourself since you will end up consuming more calories than you think. That is why it is so important to check the label before buying.
Low sugar foods
It refers to foods that contain less than 5 grams of sugar per 100 grams. But when we talk about sugar-free foods the same thing happens with calorie-free foods, it’s not that they are sugar-free but that they contain less than 5 milligrams. In this case, you should be aware that this information does not tell you anything about the caloric or fat content of the food. If you suffer from diabetes you should have this type of food in mind when making your purchases.
This group includes foods that contain less than 3 grams of fat per serving. But it is good to note that we must dig a little more when buying this type of product to know which is the fat type. When it comes to saturated fats, the limit is only 1 gram, and for it to be considered free of cholesterol it must be below 2 milligrams per serving.
A detail that is worth commenting is that this type of food usually have more sugar than they require. This is because by removing part of the fat they lose their flavor and to return the flavor that characterizes it, they add sugar or sweeteners.
Sodium-free foods are those that contain less than 5 milligrams of sodium and when speaking of foods low in sodium it is because they do not exceed the amount of 140 milligrams per serving.
Now that you know the types of foods that exist, we can begin to tell you which ones belong to the list of low-calorie foods.
Top 10 low-calorie foods
When I say healthy I mean good and with very little calories.
– Tomato: contains 22 calories in only half a tomato. It contains lycopene, a substance little found in other foods, lowers cholesterol and is rich in potassium, fiber and vitamin C.
– Mussel: between the meats is the lowest in calories contributing only 60 per 100 grams consumed.
– Lettuce: is the main vegetable less caloric, contains 13 calories per 100 grams.
– Chard: it contains no harmful toxins and contributes about 25 calories, follows the steps to the lettuce and can be used in many dishes.
– Chicken: this follows the mussels, it is the second meat with fewer calories contributing 70 and is highly nutritious.
– Lemon: it is the top fruit to lose weight. It has 29 calories and no cholesterol.
– Watermelon: exquisite and delicious pink fruit that provides 31 calories per 100 grams consumed and is rich in vitamin A in the form of carotene.
– Low-fat yogurt: among dairy products, it is the lowest with only 37 calories and helps to eliminate fats from the body.
– Skim milk contains 45 calories per 100 grams. So for your cereal or dishes with milk try to make it skim.
– Octopus: and finally we mention this seafood because it contains 73 calories per 100 grams.
The rest of the foods contain more calories than these 10 mentioned, such as lamb, fish, eggplant, cauliflower, onion, spinach, cherry, peach, tangerine, pear, grape and different types of cheeses. All these are between 80 and 150 calories.